- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification KCSE
- Experience 2 years
- Location Nairobi
- Job Field Procurement / Store-keeping / Supply Chain
- The incumbent provides driver services driving heavy trucks and material handling equipment in the transport and delivery of equipment, furniture and supplies, including loading and offloading of vehicles. Supervision is provided by Supply Clerk (Foreman) FSN-5.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates a variety of motor vehicles including large freight hauling trucks worth approximately 40,000 dollars in the pick- up, transport baggage during Codel Visits, furniture, supplies and in support of Mission operations in a safe manner. Complies with all Department of State safety and security rules. Does not interfere with the operation of safety equipment, including the use of the DriveCam system. Remains alert at all times providing necessary security for the vehicle. Remains current and knowledgeable on Mission Policy for motor pool usage and reports any misuse of a vehicle by embassy personnel or co-workers. Monitors the local travel/driving environment, and takes action to avoid demonstrations, road construction or areas which could pose a danger to the travel of passengers, cargo, or vehicles. Is an occasional petty cash holder. (50% of time)
- Assists warehousemen in loading and offloading of vehicles and delivery as well as pick- up from offices and residences. (35% of time)
- Performs daily inspection of assigned vehicle to ensure that the vehicle is clean in and outside, seatbelts are operational, and engine, radiator, brake, clutch and battery fluids are at recommended levels, and the vehicle is in good running condition. Ensures that vehicle tools and spare tire are in operational condition in the vehicle. Performs minor preventive maintenance and safety checks on a daily basis and informs dispatcher or motor pool supervisor of discrepancies. Completes the daily OF-108 motor vehicle usage records for each assigned vehicle for those trips made. (15% of time)
DOES NOT UTILIZE THE CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING. ENSURES THAT OFFICIAL RADIO IS IN OPERATIONAL CONDITION AND THE RADIO IS TURNED OFF AT END OF EVERY TRIP.
Note: This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by incumbent. Incumbent will be required to perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Two years’ experience driving heavy commercial transport trucks and/ or water trucks is required and must have a valid Kenyan driver’s license Class B, C, E.
- Must have good knowledge of Kenyan traffic laws and be familiar with traffic patterns in and around Nairobi.
- Must be knowledgeable on vehicles operations and maintenance procedures.
- Must have knowledge of radio operational procedures for responding to vehicles emergencies.
- Must know the locations of hospitals, police stations, and foreign missions.
- Completion of Secondary School is required.
- Level III (Good Working Knowledge) writing, reading, speaking in English is required.
- Level II (Limited knowledge; written & spoken) Kiswahili writing, reading, speaking in Kiswahili is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must have a Kenyan driver’s license for the operations of heavy trucks. Valid Kenyan Heavy commercial driving license plus have the following additional classifications B,C,E. required
- Must demonstrate by road tests at the time of interview, skills in handling vehicles and the ability to drive defensively.
- Must have superior driving skills in operating large vehicles to avoid accidents and personal injuries in a congested and dangerous urban environment.
- Must have a record of accident-free driving in Kenya for at least 3 years.
- Ability to communicate using radio/cell phone and provide emergency first aid.
- Must be in good physical condition with eyesight correctable to 20/20, pass a comprehensive background investigation and medical exam.
- Must be able to lift heavy materials upt o 25kgs for short periods of time while loading and unloading.
- Must have basic knowledge of Microsoft applications.
- Basic typing skill is required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to U.S. Embassy to Kenya on erajobs.state.gov to appl