- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification Diploma
- Experience 2 years
- Location Mombasa
- Job Field Medical / Healthcare
Ensure high-quality clinical care to all patients through provision of effective nursing services in Theatre.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures that pre-op assessment is complete, including the surgical checklist and nursing documentation and notes any discrepancies and informs concerned staff accordingly.
- Receives the patient prior to surgery, gets report from the accompanying nurse and performs pre- op checklist.
- Familiar with Operating Room procedures, Recovery Room routines, taking assignment e.g. narcotic cupboard.
- Effective management of pre-operative care of elective cases in the operating room
- Effective recovery of stable patients post any form of anesthesia.
- Assists with intubation and extubation of patient in the recovery room (RR) and if required in the operating room (OR).
- Communicates with anesthetists and primary teams regarding patient issues and shifting plans.
- Provides care to ventilated patients.
- Facilitates safe transfer of patient to alternate level of care on approval by anesthetist.
- Must effectively care use and maintain the following equipment: Cardiac Monitors & Diarthemy
- Promptly reports both clinical and non-clinical unusual findings/incidences to the nurse manager, team leader or Physician/Surgeons.
- Identify patient and family education needs and implement appropriate teaching
- Perform pain assessment and initiate analgesia as per protocol, patient presentation and doctor`s orders
- Ensure Nursing documentation is timely, comprehensive and complete reflecting the nursing process and nursing quality standards.
- Ensures a safe environment by applying safety measures for the patients/families and healthcare team by following infection control and other applicable policies.
- Coordinates theater list with concerned OR coordinator.
- Assists the physician in performing procedures e.g. scrub or circulating nurse roles
- Ensure all specimens are properly labeled and delivered to the lab in a timely manner
- Be able to recognize a patient in a pre- arrest or arrest states, and to initiate Basic Life Support
- Dispose of clinical and non-clinical waste safely in accordance with Hospital Guidelines on waste management
- Administer medication safely, monitor patient responses to medication and promptly report adverse reactions.
- Be accountable for judicious and efficient use of resources i.e. accurate and timely billing of ward stock drugs and consumables
- Care for equipment through cleaning, storage, per shift check of the inventory and timely reporting and follow up of nonfunctional equipment to the nurse manager.
- Adequately prepare and participate in health talks, presentations, and Continuous Medical Education (CME) events.
- Participate in clinical audits.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS/ QUALIFICATIONS
- Diploma in any of the following. disciplines: Kenya Registered Community Health Nursing, Kenya Registered Nursing
- Higher Diploma in Perioperative Nursing;
- Must be registered by the Nursing Council of Kenya with a Valid Practicing License
- Experience – 2 years of experience in a busy OR
- Experience providing direct nursing care in surgical cases within the last 1 Year required
- Must have Valid ACLS/BLS certificates
KEY JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent clinical acumen.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Effective communication skills – listening, oral and written.
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Problem solving, conflict resolution and crisis management skills.
Method of Application
If your background, experience and competence match the above specifications, please send us your application (cover letter & CV/Resume) quoting the job title on the email subject, testimonials and full contact details of 3 referees, to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application should be received not later than 5.00pm on 8TH SEPTEMBER, 2023. We shall ONLY accept ONLINE applications. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Due to the high number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.