- Job TypeFull Time
- Job FieldICT / Computer
- This engineering role is an opportunity for a technologist with a passion for Linux to build a career with Canonical and drive the success of those leveraging Ubuntu and open source products. If you have an affinity for open source development, you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
- The Commercial Systems unit has several areas of responsibility spread across five engineering teams, closely collaborating with other engineering and business teams at Canonical. Services designed, developed, and operated by the Commercial Systems unit are deployed to millions of machines worldwide.
- The first area of responsibility is centered around security. We develop and operate Ubuntu Pro and Livepatch backend services that support the authentication, authorization, and delivery of Extended Security Maintenance (ESM) at scale to a wide range of devices spanning from individual systems to large enterprise fleets running in cloud environments.
- On the distributed systems front, we develop an open source identity manager Candid and a Juju multi-controller manager JIMM (Juju Intelligent Model Manager), that enables organizations to centrally manage operations across many Juju controllers deployed to public, private, and hybrid clouds. The majority of our systems are deployed to Kubernetes clusters.
- The third major area is related to internal business operations. We develop and operate a data warehouse, including data ingestion pipelines, that are relied on by operations and data analytics teams. In addition to that, we help internal business units to automate processes across many software solutions and integrate SaaS solutions to ensure a smooth flow of data.
- Lastly, we have a dedicated team of Salesforce engineers and administrators who take care of our Salesforce implementation and integration crucial to our sales and business operations. This team configures Salesforce and implements business processes that facilitate efficient operations.
- We are looking for new colleagues with strong background in Go or Python, who have the drive and energy to deliver and operate solutions at scale with the highest engineering quality, continuously develop their skills, and work with us on defining the future of open source.
Location: This role will be based remotely in the EMEA region.
What your day will look like
- Code in Go or Python
- Collaborate with colleagues on technical designs
- Stay in sync with team mates
- Deploy and operate services developed by the team
- Improve engineering and operations practices
What we are looking for in you
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or related engineering field
- Experience as a software developer in a high-level language – preferably Go or Python
- Experience building, deploying, and operating distributed systems and APIs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to collaborate remotely with a diverse set of team members and stakeholders, remain highly motivated, productive, and organized in a fully remote environment
- Ability to travel to international destinations for one week at a time, approximately 2-4 times per year. Locations prior to the global pandemic included New York, Seattle, London, Cape Town, Budapest, Berlin, Montreal, and Brussels
Additional skills that you might also bring
- Experience developing and deploying for Ubuntu Linux in public clouds
- Experience integrating authentication & authorization, financial, public cloud or marketplace systems
- Experience with Salesforce development/integration or APEX
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Canonical on boards.greenhouse.io to apply