Security Adviser for LWF World Service
Position type and closing date
Location: East Africa, to be determined, depending on the location of the selected candidate
Line manager: LWF Global Security Manager in Geneva
Closing date for applications: 17 August 2021
Contract duration: 1 year, with a possible extension
Lutheran World Federation (LWF) World Service
LWF World Service is the humanitarian and development arm of the Lutheran World Federation. We are a widely recognized, international, faith-based organization working in over 20 countries. We seek to bring people of all backgrounds together in the common quest for justice, peace, and reconciliation in an increasingly complex and fragmented world.
A commitment to the human rights of every individual, regardless of their status, guides our work, actions, and operations. We are particularly known for our timely, compassionate, and professional humanitarian work, and for our field presence in hard-to-reach areas. Our work is people-centered and community- based. Above all, we work with the most vulnerable, and in order to claim and uphold their rights, we engage proactively with local government and community structures.
For additional information, please see www.lutheranworld.org/WorldService.
Purpose of the position
The Security Adviser is responsible to provide Safety and Security support and advice to LWF World Service Country Programs (CPs) and new operations with the aim to effectively implement the LWF Safety and security policy and procedures in the field as part of the Duty of Care principle.
He/she will play an active role in increasing safety and security awareness in LWF World Service by supporting LWF Country Programs in strategic understanding of security management and security related risks for LWF programs, assets and staff.
- Minimum Bachelor degree in social sciences, security or related discipline, like security military or police background, a certificate of good conduct.
- Willingness to work and travel in often difficult and insecure environments.
- High capacity to work with multicultural teams from different locations.
- Ready for extensive travel in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Central America to various LWF country offices.
- Computer literacy, particularly in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and database/mapping systems.
- Required to be in sympathy with the core values of LWF.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Security management experience in an international humanitarian, military or police setting.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar position working with (I)NGOs.
- Excellent planning, organization, coordination, communication and reporting skills, with the ability to prioritize and deal with diverse tasks and responsibilities.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Able to work in stressful situations and under time pressure.
- Experience in providing quality safety and security briefing.
- Solid training skills and ability to develop and implement successful security training.
- Familiarity with the ACT Alliance basic security-training package is an asset.
- English: advanced verbal and written skills.
- Portuguese, Spanish, Arabic: working level is an asset.
LWF Core Skills
- Working effectively with others – resource level*
- Initiative – resource level
- Achieving results – resource level
- Accountability – advanced level
- Analytical thinking – resource level
LWF Functional Skills
- People Management – resource level
- Project Management – resource level
- Networking – resource level
- Facilitation / Negotiation – advanced level
- Communication – advanced level
- *LWF 3 skills levels are: basis – advanced – resource
- Provide necessary technical support to LWF Country Programs and LWF Security Focal Points (SFP) in security risk management and the implementation of the LWF Country Security plans and procedures.
- Intensive travel to LWF Country Program in especially Eastern Africa (South Sudan, Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Uganda) and field sites to support LWF SFPs and teams in risk assessment, risk mitigation measures and safety and security training and critical incident and crisis management.
- Provide security advice during incidents or increased insecurity and analyze data and share with LWF and other NGOs, as appropriate.
- Assess program activities and their impact on staff security and make recommendations to reduce staff vulnerability.
- Plan and conduct contingency planning exercises, drills and simulations at Country Program level to build capacities and increase awareness in security risk management, crisis management and incident response handling.
- Planning and provision of basic safety and security training for LWF staff in close collaboration with other ACT Alliance members.
- Report on findings and design necessary improvements.
- Enhance security of LWF World Service field staff through appropriate briefing, coordination of training, and support of individual staff members.
- Provide timely and credible security information and contextual analysis/risk assessment of new and existing LWF CPs.
- Provide advice to the Crisis Management Team in Geneva and the LWF local crisis management teams in the LWF Country Programs. Ensure that all CPs have strong CMTs in place and provide regular updates about capacity building opportunities.
- Monitor the security environment and make recommendations to adjust the security policies and procedures accordingly.
- Provide and develop new practical tools and materials for LWF to increase internal knowledge building and sharing to ensure security awareness is maintained and/or improved.
- Establish and maintain active in strategic networking in order to profit from information /skill/tools sharing and to contribute to sector learning (e.g. GISF, INSO, ACT Alliance Safety and Security Community of Practice, NGOs, the UN, military forces, and other national and international security actors).
- Comply with and promote relevant LWFs policies such as Child Protection, the LWF staff Code of Conduct, Gender Justice and complaints handling procedures.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the line manager.
Applicants are required to uphold the core values of our organization.
How to Apply
To apply, please click on the following link:https://lutheranworld.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0swck?cjb_hash=O_WPAE23&apply_now=true