Implements conformity assessment systems based on approved specifications in inspection and certification of locally manufactured and imported products in specific sectors within the section including but not limited to: Mechanical, Civil, Building & Construction, Textile & Leather, Electrotechnical engineering; chemical, petrochemical, food and agriculture. This is to facilitate local, regional and international trade and ease of
doing business while safeguarding consumer health and safety, protection of environment in line with Articles 42, 43(a, b, c & d), 46 (a, b & c) of the Constitution of Kenya and the Standards Act (Cap 496 Laws of Kenya); and entrenchment of a culture of quality for the realization of Kenya’s vision 2030, African Union Agenda 2063 and United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Key Responsibilities/ Duties / Tasks
Operational Responsibilities / Tasks
- Implements conformity assessment systems based on Kenya Standard or approved specifications for the purpose of realization of sustainable development goals, Kenya vision 2030 and African Union Agenda 2063 and promote market access of Kenyan products.
- Develops over 2,000 products in Kenya through implementation of standards within specific sectors in the section which are key to the achievement of the Agenda 2063, Kenya Vision 2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Monitors the conformity assessment systems and legal requirements to safeguard health and safety of consumers and protection of environment;
- Prepares reports on compliance of locally manufactured products with regulatory and statutory requirements within specific sectors in the section;
- Implements the resource mobilization strategies to increase revenue base and ensure financial sustainability within specific sectors in the section;
- Develops and monitors individual performance targets in line with strategic plan to ensure realization of organizational objectives within the section;
- Executes contractual services requested by industry to ensure compliance of products to relevant standards within the section;
- Implements, maintains, monitors & evaluates and improves Management systems adopted by KEBS for the purpose of ensuring efficiency and sustained customer satisfaction within the section;
- Implements workplans, medium term expenditure framework, and procurement plans within the section;
- Implements product certification schemes of supervision and control in the section in order to facilitate manufacturing, trade, protect environment and health and safety of the consumers;
- Inspects and assesses factories for product compliance and gives feedback to the manufacturers and guides in implementation of corrective actions by manufacturers whose products fail to comply with the requirements of relevant standards within the section;
- Prepares factory inspection reports for consideration by Assistant Manager, Quality Assurance;
- Provides sector specific data for use in the review of Standards in the National and Regional standard development process in order to address emerging issues;n) Prepares justifications for firms seeking certification to Diamond
- Mark and submits to the Assistant Manager, Quality Assurance for consideration;
- Conducts risk profiling and analysis of locally manufactured products within specific sectors in the section and implements strategies for the safeguarding of the health and safety of consumers;
- Tracks payments of Product Certification and Testing fees to ensure all payments due to KEBS are collected;
- Implements of business continuity strategies to ensure resilience and sustainability of processes, products and services; and
- Implements sectional strategies, and product certification procedures for locally manufactured products to ensure health and safety of consumers; and protection of the environment.
Financial Responsibility: Responsible for revenue generation
Responsibility for Physical Assets: Responsible for physical assets in the section; including but not limited to the field test Equipment, ICT Equipment, Office Furniture and equipment.
Decision Making / Job Influence: Makes operational decisions within the section.
- The job is predominantly field/factory based and involves travelling within country for industry engagements forums and meetings, and occasional travels outside the country for Product Certification functions.
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals and materials, and hostile working environment in the field and factory.
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience, and Attributes / Skills).
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
Professional Qualifications / Membership to professional bodies
- Registration with relevant professional bodies, e.g.:
- Chemistry society of Kenya;
- Physics society of Kenya;
- Engineers Board of Kenya;
- Food Nutrition and Dietetics Board;
- Kenya Institute of Food Science and Technology;
- Computer Society of Kenya;
- National Quality Institute or any other relevant body;
- Any other relevant professional body;
- Gazetted Inspector
- Previous relevant work experience required.
Functional Skills, Behavioral Competencies/Attributes
Functional Skills and competence
- Quality Inspection and Systems auditing Skills;
- Skills to apply Statistical quality control tools
- Negotiation skills;
- Prosecution skills;
- Project Management;
- Financial Management;
- Information, communication, and technology skills;
- Presentation skills;
- Report writing;
- Analytical skills; and
- Problem-solving skills;
- Time management skills;
- Communication skills; and
- Interpersonal skills.
How To Apply
Application form including testimonials shall be filled and submitted online via KEBS website on or before 10 September 2021. All testimonials MUST be saved with the applicant’s ID.N0. e.g.20441558_CV.pdf.
The Application should include attachments of;
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of Academic and Professional certificates
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations
- Tax Compliance certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission Clearance (EACC)
- Credit Reference Bureau clearance (CRB)
- Clearance certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB).
IMPORTANT NOTICE; Upon successful upload and submission of the application, the applicant will receive a system-generated email notification that the job application details have been successfully submitted.
Persons with disabilities and female candidates are encouraged to apply. Academic qualifications of external origin MUST be accompanied by a recognition certificate from a relevant body.
All degree applicants for engineering-related positions must be registered as a Graduate Engineer where applicable.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Interested and qualified? Go to Kenya Bureau of Standards on www.kebs.org to apply