Provides Supervision to : 4 Regional Managers, Senior Manager Disaster Management Team, Senior Manager Sponsorship Operations, Project Director – IMARA Grant, Chief of Party – Tumikia Mtoto Project, National Grants Coordinators, Grants Compliance Manager
Job Grade : 18
Work Location : Nairobi
Purpose of the position:
The Operations Director is responsible for strategic leadership and results-based management of World Vision Kenya’s field operations, including line-management of all sponsorship funded programs, grants and PNS projects, technical programs, Disaster Management (including the Refugee Response), and Faith & Development initiatives.
To provide overall leadership to the operations team, fostering an enabling environment to support World Vision’s strategic priorities and imperatives. To develop and operationalize systems that promote integration and ensure timely, effective implementation of the programme’s portfolio of projects in pursuit of Child Well-Being. To oversee the implementation of systems, infrastructure, and capacity building to address core security requirements and staff care. To spearhead external engagement in order to position the organization to sustain and grow and to influence and promote coordination with key stakeholders.
The position is accountable for the following: **
- To provide leadership, support and coordination to all operations in World Vision Kenya to ensure efficient and effective program implementation so as to meet the goals and objectives of World Vision and community partners, in alignment with the National Strategy.
- To develop and lead a team of competent staff, with strong spiritual commitment, good professional skills, and excellent team leadership skills as they manage all operations of World Vision Kenya.
- To ensure that the standards of representation, design quality, implementation, grant management, monitoring and reporting are such that World Vision Kenya is seen as a partner of choice for World Vision Support Offices and Donor Agencies in chosen sectors of intervention.
- To ensure the integration of all projects and programs, such that a true holistic approach to transformational development is found in the design, implementation, monitoring & evaluation of the work of World Vision Kenya with communities and local partners.
In order to successfully do so, the Operations Director must be able to effectively communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that serves as an example to others.
Strategic Management (20%)
- Stay abreast of, analyze and advise the National Director on trends in programming, operational, country and donor environments to facilitate strategic decision making and planning.
- Provide leadership in the development, application and monitoring of strategies and plans, in alignment with WVK’s 5-year strategic plan and global “Our Promise” strategy framework.
- Ensure all Operations departments, programs and projects reflect WV’s Integrated Focus and Principle Level Choices, and support WV Ministry Objectives.
- Ensure rolling multi-year growth plans for APs and other programs are maintained, taking the lead in negotiations with WV Support Offices.
- Pursue strategically aligned and proactive resource acquisition in order to ensure program commitments can be fulfilled.
Program Quality & Integration (30%)
- Build team unity through good collaboration. In particular build strong and trusting bridges between the Operations and Program Effectiveness & Impact.
- Clear matrix relationships exist at National Office Operations Division and each Regional Office to promote strong collaboration, especially in implementation of Technical Programs.
- Develop and manage systems that ensure all programs are incorporating quality designs and achieve outputs that make a significant difference in the communities where WVK works.
- Ensure integration between projects and programs is made a priority at all levels within the Operations Division, and that the integration synergy is realized.
- Ensure all projects and programs integrate child well-being outcomes (CWBOs) and make a measurable contribution to child well-being.
- Ensure Project Managers are meeting the highest quality standards of grant management & compliance.
- Support/manage innovations and new initiatives in order to improve program quality and impact (enabling organizational learning and reflection).
Financial Management/Grant Management (10%)
- Ensure financial management aligns with donor commitment and compliance expectations.
- Ensure all projects remain within budget, and also do not underspend more than 5%.
- Oversee Operations Division compliance with the Field Financial Manual (FFM), including ensuring proper accounting systems and practice.
- Ensure the provision of appropriate responses on all audit reports findings. Ensure that audit finding implementation plans are developed and effectively rolled-out.
- Ensure fraud related investigation reports are taken very seriously, with appropriate resulting actions based on a “zero tolerance” philosophy.
- Oversight of grant management unit, ensuring that effective finance management and accountability is applied to all grant funded projects.
Internal Coordination/Contribution to Overall WVK Management (10%)
- Actively participate in the WVK Senior Leadership Team, board committees/main board meetings, and the Strategy Support Team (SST).
- Ensure strong collaboration between the Operations and Program Effectiveness & Impact Divisions, as well as support functions such as Finance, Admin/Procurement, P&C, ICT, Communications and others.
- Ensure effective liaison with Vision Fund Kenya (VFK) and actively manage the integration of VFK microfinance services with WVK’s overall operations
- Participate in VFK Board representing WVK
Team Leadership & Building a High Performance Team (15%)
- Build cooperation, team spirit and a supportive, learning environment within the Operations Division
- Ensure effective capacity building of Divisional staff (in line with 70/20/10 principles) in key programming areas (including LEAP3 and Technical Program requirements). In addition, actively work on leadership development through process of capacity building and coaching.
- Actively participate in development of key positions (JDs/Performance Agreements) and ensure top class recruitment is undertaken. Seek to build Operations Divisional team comprised of top class actors performing at the highest level.
- Facilitate an appropriate environment for the spiritual formation of staff, including the embracing of WV’s Vision, Mission & Core Values.
- Participate in and lead where appropriate devotional meetings, weekly chapel, annual Day of Prayer and other events.**
External Stakeholders Relationship & Management (15%)
- Support the National Director in representing WV to donors, line ministries, County Governments and partner organizations.
- Ensure that the communications and representation of WVK with WV Support Offices, international donor organizations, and major donors from and by Operations staff is of the highest quality and transparency.
- In coordination with the National Director, and programme staff, participate in national level coalitions on specific advocacy issues.
- Network with external agencies (donor agencies, govt. departments, SOs, IOs, other NGOs, etc.) in order to effectively represent WVK.
- Through oversight of grant management unit, proactively engage in donor relations. This will include addressing issues as they occur in order to retain donor confidence in WVK.
- Encourage the full and appropriate external expression of WV’s Christian identity.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
The following may be acquired through a combination of formal or self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training:
- Master’s Degree in international development or relevant field such as social science, public health, or business administration
- At least 10 years’ program management experience in an international development organization. and/or 8+ years of experience in emergency response, development programming, and/or fragile contexts
- At least 3 years’ experience in a senior NGO leadership role in a developing country.
- Previous experience working in Kenya/East Africa, and/or experience working in World Vision is preffred
- Demonstrated experience in program or project design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and report writing is preferred.
- Has successfully initiated & implemented significant organizational change.
- Experience in organizational representation with government, donor & IOs in order to strengthen relationships and nurture partnerships.
- Familiarity with EU, USAID/OFDA, DFID, CIDA, SIDA, GAC, AusAID grant compliance and procedures
- Must possess knowledge of humanitarian industry, including Sphere standards, HAP, NGO Code of Conduct, and Humanitarian Charter
- Must possess experience in staff security, safety management, and staff care within a complex, insecure, and fragile environment
- Proven leadership ability, with excellent judgment and decision-making
- Demonstrated facilitation and collaboration skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English required.
- Excellent relational skills, especially in a cross-cultural environment, and ability to work well with national and international staff
- Ability to analyze and solve problems, innovate, persuade, network and negotiate.
- Programming knowledge of a specific WV ministry sector is preferred.
- Strong strategic and operational planning skills and ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to work gracefully under pressure, while focusing on matters that are most important.
- Able to work as part of a team as a positive contributor/ encourager.
- Strong Christian commitment, spiritual maturity and discernment evidenced by life and character including active and regular fellowship with other Christians
Working Environment / Conditions:
· Based in the National Office in Nairobi. Periodic in-country, regional and international travel is required (not to exceed 25% of the time).
· Available to represent WVK at critical functions as required
How to Apply
For more information on the job and application procedure, please visit: https://careers.wvi.org/jobs/kenya/field-operations/operations-director/17296 and submit your online application including a detailed CV, current and expected salary, with names of three referees. Current Police Clearance Certificate or proof of application for the same will be required during interviews**.** Application deadline is August 8, 2021 at midnight. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted**.**
World Vision is a child focused organization and upholds the rights and wellbeing of children. Our recruitment and selection procedures include screening and background checking for child abuse related offenses. World Vision is an equal opportunity employer.
World Vision does not use employment agencies nor does it charge money for recruitment, interviews, or medical checks. More information about vacancies can be found on our official careers page https://careers.wvi.org/.