Overall Role Purpose
Reporting to the Head of Finance; The High School Accountant will be responsible for overseeing day-to-day reviewing of all financial transactions and records of the High-school section of the Academy to help assure accurate and complete accounting records and ensure smooth operations of academy activities that require finance support including preparation and interpretation of all relevant financial reports; daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annually.
• Monitor high school budget allocation, fund cashflow balances and related financial activities for the purpose of ensuring that accurate allocations, expenses are within budget limits.
• Preparation of Monthly expense vs approved budget variance analysis for reporting purposes.
• Maintain financial management system to ensure integrity of the data captured in the system.
• Ensure adequate controls over cash and bank management are constantly monitored and updated to minimize the risk of fraud or misappropriation.
• Closely monitor all financial activities and keep the Head of Finance advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial management performance.
• Support any system automation, enhancements, and customization of sage x3 ERP.
• Generate periodical financial reports on revenue, expenditure, and cash management.
• Review monthly bank account and cash reconciliations before 5th of the following month.
• Interface with budget owners in various areas mainly reporting.
• Ensures that all tax obligations relating to the Academy are calculated and paid to relevant authorities on time.
• Supervision of the payable process, reviewing invoices and making payments and reviewing supplier account balances.
• Overseeing the petty cash disbursements process to ensure that the Academy cash asset is safe and secured.
• Supervision of the stores processes-including receiving, storage and issuance; including daily reconciliation of stores records and quarter stock takes.
• Reviewing of monthly reconciliation of the academy sales.
• Ensuring an updated and fully reconciled fixed assets register of the academy is always kept.
• Supporting internal and external audits processes by providing schedules and other information as requested.
• Support in the budget preparation process for high school.
• Evaluation of employees’ performance.
• Summarize current financial status of academy enterprises (farm, facilities hire, catering etc.) by collecting information, preparing balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports.
• Maintain accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures.
• Proper record keeping and reporting for all academy projects i.e., construction etc.
• Review and recommend modifications to accounting systems and generally accepted accounting procedures.
• Provide input into department’s goal setting process and staff appraisal.
• Perform month-end and year-end close process.
• Continually develop, review and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
• Support the entrepreneurship program through teaching and coaching of students (both in class and experiential student enterprises) as allocated from term to term by the Entrepreneurship
• Custodian of the Academy safe and ensuring that all documents in the safe are always secure.
• A Business-related degree in Finance/Accounting or Equivalent
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role
• CPA/ACCA Qualification or an equivalent post graduate qualification
• Work experience in an audit firm is desired
• Experience and (or) training in Sage x3 will be an added advantage
• Experience working in a learning institution will be a distinct advantage
• Good communication skills (both written and spoken)
• Strong organization skills
• Demonstrate effective time management
• Ability to produce accurate work
• Team leader who is flexible with their work approach
• Demonstrate ability to perform duties responsibly under minimum supervision.
How to Apply
Please read the job description before you apply for the position. Only those who meet the criterial set in the job description will be shortlisted for interviews
Send your application letter and CV as one document to email@example.com not later than 1st November, 2021 stating clearly on the email subject line The job title and reference of the position you are applying for. E.g High School Accountant – HSA/10/2021
Please note, only soft copy/ email applications to the address provided will be accepted.
Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted