- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Nairobi
- Job Field Media / Advertising / Branding
- Advert -
- To produce engaging and insightful content in English in a variety of formats, based on the monitoring of Somali-language sources – TV, radio, newspapers, online and social media.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of African news and current affairs, as well as the continent’s digital and media scene
- Act as a point of reference on Africa both internally and for all BBCM’s users
- Continually develop expert knowledge of all media types, ensuring this source context features in output
- Ensure all output is consistent with the BBC editorial guidelines
- To come up with original ideas and creative treatments for ongoing and emerging narratives, including data-driven products and multimedia elements
- To feed into the global news agenda, leading shifts as required
Are you the right candidate?
- Advert -
- Complete fluency in Somali.
- Ability to write about news developments in excellent idiomatic English
- Experience as a journalist with demonstrable news judgement
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of the news and current affairs of sub-Saharan Africa, in particular the Horn of Africa and Somali-speaking areas
- In-depth subject matter expertise on Africa’s media environment, including tracking breaking news and emerging trends on social media
- Education to degree level or equivalent
- Willingness and enthusiasm to embrace new ways of working and an ability to share/communicate what you know or have learnt with others in the team
Method of Application
Interested and qualified?