The Preparatory School runs from Early Years to Year 8 and has a student population of about 250. This is a vibrant community, whose students, parents and teachers work collaboratively within an atmosphere of mutual respect.
The nurse will provide healthcare to students and staff, oversight of school health services, and promote health education through; effective clinical services; promoting health and safety; intervention in actual and potential health problems; case management services; active collaboration with others; liaising with healthcare providers to ensure a healthy school environment.
KEY DUTIES AND ROLES
- Provide appropriate treatment, health surveillance and care planning, ensuring that medical needs are diagnosed correctly and given appropriate treatment.
- Take responsibility for the sick bay, ensuring high standards of safety, cleanliness, order and compliance with the necessary regulations.
- Liaise with other school professionals, such as food service personnel, physical education teachers, coaches, and counselors as needed, for a concerted approach to health and safety.
- Propose effective infection control measures by monitoring communicable diseases, and assessing the school environment.
- Ensure that child protection concerns are documented as per the Child Protection Policy and escalated in line with procedures
- Actively participate in school safety plans that address various emergencies that may occur at school.
- Manage caseloads appropriately, ensuring that staff, pupils and parents are happy with provision.
- Maintain accurately records in line with medical protocols, including a termly report for the sickbay.
- Ensure timely communication of information using appropriate channels.
- In liaison with the Procurement Department, ensure that the sickbay is well stocked and equipped through accurate stocktaking and taking responsibility for inspecting medical supplies against order specifications.
- Participate and where necessary propose development, review or adherence to medical /health policies
- Ensure that all opportunities for Professional Development are taken and recorded.
- Support the sports department by being in attendance of sports activities for prompt response to any medical issues.
- Champion physical, emotional, mental, and social health of students by actively promoting better health within the school and providing health-related education on contemporary topics
- Maintain the school’s lost property department.
- Undertake any other duties within your capabilities that may be assigned to you from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Kenya Registered Nurse or Kenya Registered Community Health Nurse with at least two years’ experience. Experience and qualifications in pediatric care will be a distinct advantage.
- Valid practicing license by the Nursing Council of Kenya
- Experience in a school environment, preferably in the British National curriculum
- Solid understanding and awareness of child development and psychology.
- Energetic, friendly, enthusiastic and able to thrive in an environment of rapid change.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of counselling theory & practice and Child Protection/Safeguarding.
- First class interpersonal skills evidenced by the ability to communicate in some complex and difficult situations, including obtaining detailed and accurate assessment of stressed and vulnerable young pupils
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication and influencing skills
- Sound understanding of Health and Safety and working within policy guidelines.
- Team player/collaborative, management skills and able to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines.
- Competent IT and keyboard skills evidenced by ability to use the Microsoft suite of packages.
How To Apply
To apply for this role, please complete this application form on this page and email it to email@example.com no later than 13 March 2022.