HIAS seeks a Cook who will be responsible for preparing ingredients, producing meals and following health and safety guidelines at HIAS’ Safe House.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensures ingredients and final products are fresh
- Oversees and participates in the preparation, cooking and serving of well-balanced main meals to shelter residents.
- Determines quantities to be cooked and size of portions to be served, considering the total population at the safe house
- Handles and stores ingredients and food
- Maintains safety and sanitation standards throughout all food preparation and storage areas
- Maintains a clean and safe work area, including handling utensils, equipment, and dishes
- Ensures that high standards of hygiene and health are maintained in the kitchen
- Checks quantity and quality of ingredients received and notifies Head Cook of any deficiencies
- Performs any other duties as may be required
- A certificate in hotel and catering management or food and beverage
- Must have a valid medical certificate
- Should have a minimum of 1 year of experience in the catering industry
- Ability to accurately read, measure, convert and follow recipes and assemble ingredients according to cooking standards and recipes.
- Fully conversant with various cooking methods like boiling, baking, roasting and steaming.
- Comprehensive understanding of food hygiene regulations including safe temperatures at which ingredients must be kept and to which food must be prepared to avoid foodborne illness
- Ability to work independently and as a contributing member of a team to ensure deadlines, goals and objectives are met.
- Interpersonal skills to interact with a variety of other people from different backgrounds such as the Safe House residents and other staff
- Calm demeanor to work in a high-stress, fast-paced environment
- Experience of high-volume catering in a busy workplace.
- Knowledge in basic computer skill is an added advantage
- Knowledge of Accountability to Affected Populations is an added advantage
- Knowledge of PSEA is an added advantage
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills required or permanent location. Location is subject to change based on programmatic needs. Flexibility is essential as we grow and develop. The successful candidate must be comfortable in a fast-paced, changing work environment with many crucial deadlines. All team members may be required to perform duties outside of their normal work hours of responsibilities as needed.
SAMPLE HIRING PROCESS:
We are committed to a fair and respectful hiring process, and we do our absolute best to respond to every applicant. We prioritize communication and transparency with all candidates, even those who are not moving forward. Here’s a snapshot of our hiring process:
Step 1: Submit your application!
Step 2: Phone screen with a Human Resources staff person.
Step 3: Interview with the hiring manager.
Step 4: Interview with a panel of HIAS employees.
Step 5: Reference check.
Step 6: Offer and background check.
Step 7: Start your professional journey with HIAS!
Note: Some of our hiring processes may vary, and not all candidates will advance to each step.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume through the link quoting the position title: Cook on the subject. Indicate your salary expectation as well.
Deadline for Applications: 7th September 2021 by 5.00pm
Important: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
HRTK is an equal opportunity employer, does not charge candidates for recruitment and dissociates itself from any entity defrauding candidates.