Finance Jobs In Kenya.
- Advert -
LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers and jurists working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. We focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, rule of law and accountability and transformative justice, working to bring justice to those who need it most. LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international media coverage, including the New York Times, BBC, Reuters, AP, the Times of London, the Guardian, Al-Jazeera, France24, Voice of America, Huffington Post and Foreign Policy.
- Advert -
We are looking for passionate and enthusiastic Finance Assistant to join our dynamic team. This position will work closely with the Programme Managers and report directly to the Finance Manager. The Finance Assistant will help coordinate and contribute to the implementation LAW’s grants financial management, policies, and procedures in compliance with LAW established accounting standards, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), donors’ rules and regulations.
Where? The position will be based at LAW’s Office in Nairobi. You must have the legal right to work in Kenya.
Duration: This position is full time. It is a 12-month contract, and possible extension subject to funding availability and performance.
Salary: Competitive rates of pay apply.
- Advert -
Role overview and responsibility
- Advert -
The Finance Assistant will ensure performing efficiency across accounting services through documenting the project/grant financial transactions by compiling, analysing, and verifying account information, and preparing account entries.
The post holder will perform duties in accordance with the responsibilities outlined below:
- Advert -
- Review and validate supporting documentation before processing of financial transactions to ensure all required documents are accurate and complete and authorizations are in place.
- Ensure setup and maintenance of all data required for processing financial transactions for assigned accounts in Navision financial accounting package.
- Record financial transactions following appropriate authorizations.
- Review and analyze various accounts to detect irregularities and advise on corrective actions and prepare correcting entries and adjustments, as necessary.
- Prepare journals for posting and ensure that all journals are posted into Navision.
- Support the Finance Manager in the budget preparation including review of new project proposals for internal & external submission.
- Prepare, monitor, alert the program managers, facilitate, and manage the process of closing expiring grants within the ninety (90) days period as required in the grants closure period;
- Ensure the integrity and quality of the data in the Navision financial database including and not limited reviewing, analysis of various account and alert the supervisor of any irregularities.
- Advert -
- Support in the preparation of the monthly Budget v Actuals Reports (BvA) and Master Budgets respond to any queries from programs relating to the BvA reports. In addition, preparation of finance indicators reports on monthly basis alert management on any exceptions and make recommendations as appropriate.
- Monitor disbursement/receipt schedules for partners and staff BERs (Business expenditure Reports) alert relevant staff of due payments/liquidations and maintain appropriate communication and follow-up to facilitate timeliness of financial resource management.
- Evaluate and monitor LAW’s local partners financial management processes in accordance with partnership agreements and policies, monitor submission of and review monthly financial reports and provide timely feedback.
- Support and mentor LAW’s local partners in financial accounting and transactions, financial accounting policies and procedural compliance, and design and deliver capacity building programs to our partners in person and remotely.
- Prepare periodic and ad hoc financial reports, as needed, and perform variance analyses to assist with decision-making and proper management of financial resources.
- Perform assigned treasury (cash payment/receipt, cash forecast, etc.) duties if segregation of duties is ensured.
- Ensure payment of staffs’ salaries, suppliers’ invoices, consultants, PAYE, NSSF, NHIF and other statutory payments are prepared on a timely basis.
- Support the human resources in reviewing monthly payroll before processing salaries.
- Petty Cash Management.
- Maintain and keep accurate and up to date hard copies and digital of financial support records.
- Ensure clear audit trail of processed transactions and their linkage to the accounting system. Support in implementation of any accounting and financial audit recommendations.
This role requires regular travel up to 30% to the field.
Required Skills, Qualification and Experience:
- The legal right to work in Kenya
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration with courses in accounting, or a qualification in accounting (CPA 2/ACCA 2 or equivalent).
- Minimum of two years’ experience working in similar position preferably with an international and/or local NGO or demonstrated work experience in a similar role within a national or complex finance department or team.
- Knowledge of the relevant main donor regulations preferred – NORAD, EU, Dutch Government, SIDA, Swiss Solidarity.
- Excellent relationship building skills and a proactive approach to problem solving.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, written and spoken.
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications. Knowledge of Navision ERP financial accounting package or similar financial reporting software preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to respect, equity, diversity, and inclusion including gender equality.
How To Apply
If you are committed to human rights and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, we would like to hear from you.
To apply please send an email with your CV and statement of interest outlining how you would contribute to LAW’s mission and vision in English (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) to: email@example.com by 18th May 2023. The subject of the application should read ‘Finance Assistant Africa’’.
At LAW we are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues reflecting the people and communities that we represent and support. Our team includes many nationalities with diverse professional backgrounds, skills and knowledge. This enables us to deliver and understand the cultural and political contexts on the ground and to tailor our support effectively and appropriately.