Our Client aims to address unsustainable urbanization and the proliferation of informal settlements by improving livelihoods and access to services for rural Africans. In conjunction with a collection of local partners, they plan to leverage three central resources: (1) off-grid power generation, (2) information, communication and digital technologies and (3) clean mobility, to create a platform to support an array of interventions to further sustainable development and gender parity in rural Africa.
The pilot project will focus on agricultural communities in Kisii and Nyamira Counties, both located in rural Western Kenya. Our Client will coordinate a collection of local partners with complementary capabilities to demonstrate the opportunity and feasibility of a digital Smart Village Platform for orchestrating the provisioning of mobility, agriculture and energy.
Our Client intends to immediately hire a Banana Market Broker to prospect, initiate, develop and manage new sales relationships locally and nationally, as well as support the post harvest aggregation and processing of bananas in coordination with team members and relevant third parties. The purpose of this position is to lead the efforts to secure markets for locally aggregated bananas by achieving set targets for bananas and locally processed banana products (e.g. flour, crisps, etc). Targeted customers should include be local mama mbogas, aggregators, national retailers (e.g. Naivas) and food processors. The Banana Market Broker will be responsible for maintaining client relationships and coordinating regular deliveries.
The Officer will combine technical skills, creativity, and business acumen to improve our understanding of the operating environment and increase market visibility of above products.
Job duty station:
Gross Salary Range:
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct research to identify potential markets for bananas (inc. plantain) and processed banana products (flour, crisps, etc).
- Support banana post harvest processing operations in coordination with local community participants and third party offtakers.
- Create a pipeline of potential customers based on research.
- Contact prospective clients and identify demand including product type (raw, processed, etc), pricing, quality & volume requirements.
- Liaise with local team to understand whether supply can cover required demand from potential clients.
- Fuel the CRM with all data collected above.
- Support the creation of marketing collateral and promotional material to support marketing initiatives and related go-to-market and business development activities.
- Strong preference for candidates with strong proven experience delivering data driven insights for marketing/sales.
- One to two years’ working experience as a broker, sales agent or a relevant role, and must have deep local market knowledge in Kisii or Western Kenya generally. in processed food, produce / food B2B sales. Experience with remote customer support is a plus.
- Strong data analysis skills in Google Sheets. Working knowledge of Google Docs for reporting is required.
- Excellent communication skills, including fluency in English and Swahili. Knowledge of the local language: Ekegusii is an added advantage.
Applicants should send their cover letters and CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email reference as BANANA MARKET BROKER. Deadline for applications is 15th September 2021.